Come celebrate the restoration of the stained-glass windows in the 1880 Bread of Life Church on Saturday, September 3rd, from 1 to 3 p.m.
The Bread of Life Church, renamed St. George’s in 1887, was completed in 1881 and served the Episcopalian community in Bismarck until 1949 when the parish built a new church. Following the construction of the new St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church the old church found use as the Calnan Funeral Home until the early 60s when it sat vacant for a time. During this time the stained glass was vandalized when kids threw rocks through the windows. In 1965 the church was moved to Camp Hancock State Historic Site for Preservation at which time the stained-glass windows were removed and placed in storage.
In 2019 the State Historical Society Initiated the process of restoring the windows with support of the Bismarck Historical Society and restoration of the windows was completed in time for the 150th Birthday of Bismarck this summer.
All times approximate:
• 1 p.m. Welcome by Bismarck Historical Society.
• 1:20 p.m. Blessing of the windows with the Reverend Hal Weidman, Rector of St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church.
• 1:30 p.m. history of the Episcopal church in Bismarck by Tom Tudor.
• Open time to enjoy the windows, socialize, look around the site.
• 2:20 p.m. A few words from Linda Slaughter by Sarah Fox.
• 2:30 p.m. St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church Choir.
Camp Hancock will be open 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, September 3rd, and again on Sunday, September 4th, which is the last open day of the season.